Friday 1 January 2010

Frequent Flyer

I just met this guy on the tube two days ago. I've learnt how to spot someone destitute now - though perhaps he wouldn't appreciate that word being used about him - dirty fingers, unshaven, lots of layers of clothing - scavenged and kept in the safest place; on him, and multiple bags stuffed with everything else he owns. There's also often a particular odour that people have after not washing for a while - I can't really put my finger on what it is, but it's very distinctive and always makes me think of the colour yellow.

Anyway, this guy got on the Piccadilly Line tube where I got on, and sat down opposite me. I smiled at him sheepishly, and he seemed pleased to see a glimmer of friendliness. He had a cut on his hand that looked quite bad - the sides of it were all raised up like it was getting infected. I said to him that it looked pretty bad. People in our carriage who saw me speak to him looked like I'd just revealed a tail.


We got chatting.

He's Australian, from New South Wales, and is called Richard. He came over here in March 2009. He's going back in February 2010. He works on building sites usually but said that this time he hasn't had much luck with work. He looks about 55. I asked why he came over here, and he said that in 2002 (or was it 2003? I can't remember) he flew 17 times between various countries - to Israel, South America, America - all over - and so he now has loads of frequent flyer free airmiles to use up!!! So he popped over here for a year.

He's travelled widely - he said his hardest time was in Peru but didn't go into detail. He said he often crashes at a friend's but this year he ended up spending Christmas night in a graveyard in Pimlico because there was no transport so he couldn't get to the friend's.

I hope he carries on travelling safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment