Thursday 31 December 2009

Dave the Prophet


He had a greying beard and a khaki cap. He is actually the inspiration for the title of this blog, because he said that all he wants is a plot of earth to grow hemp on and a horse, and he'd be sorted. But that is not something he can have here in paved Britain. He wants to get to Australia or New Zealand where there's more space, more wilderness, where he might be able to just have a little plot of earth...

For now, or at least when I met him which I think was 2006, he's living in Peckham, sleeping out in the warmer months and on night-buses in the colder.

He was extremely eloquent. He often spoke in rhyme - in fact the first time I met him he bent towards me where I was sitting and he rhymed about Ken Livingstone! He spoke to me about the dishonesty of the world, and described himself as the little boy who points out that the Emperor has no clothes on - too truthful for society.

He spoke about the virtues of weed and the evils of the poppy.

He told me how he hates any sort of game; that there is no point to most of our forms of entertainment - we ought to be making something not being anaesthetized.

An incredible man, unable or unwilling to play the game society requires of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment